What areas of the country do you cover?

Canterbury including Banks Peninsula.

Who Pays – buyer or seller?

Ideally a potential purchaser should organise and pay for their own Property Inspection & Report to avoid any conflict of interest.

Can I attend the inspection?

Yes, we are happy for you to make a time toward the end of the inspection period, to meet the inspector and ask any questions you may have about the property, its condition, maintenance items and timeframes, and potential upgrade possibilities.

What does a Property Inspection & Report cover?

This is our standard report. During the visual inspection, during which we will answer any questions you may have, we take photos of all parts of the house as well as making a photographic record of any issues we think may be prudent.

Later, when we write up the report, we separately describe the house, its services and its general condition. Note that the 'condition' should be taken in context with the age of the house and the Building Code when it was built.

Finally, we identify and note any specific faults.

These in general terms are the items we cover:

The house is our main focus:

  • Foundations - if possible we check the piles and sub-floor under the house
  • Exterior cladding and weather tightness
  • Roof & roof space - for evidence of leaks, rodents, and condition of plumbing, wiring and insulation
  • Floors
  • Walls & ceilings
  • Windows
  • Doors
  • Plumbing
  • Spouting & downpipes
  • Sewer & storm-water
  • Heating & ventilation
  • Insulation
We also mention the following, and will take special note if specifically asked:
  • Exterior buildings – garage, sleep-out etc.
  • Patios and decks
  • Retaining walls
  • Paths and driveways


What does a Property Inspection & Report NOT cover?

Our reports are visual and non-invasive. As such we rely on our knowledge and experience of the many types and ages of buildings we have worked on over the last 35 years, to determine whether there is the possibility of problems occurring where we can't see them. If that possibility exists, or if we are looking at an issue beyond the scope of our own expertise, then we will recommend appropriate further reports.

These might include:

  • Structural Engineer
  • Geotech engineering
  • Electrical Report
  • Plumbing Report
  • Sewer & Storm-water video cam

See also Our Services.

To schedule an inspection contact Peter now.

© copyright 2021 PT Survey: Property Inspections & Reports
website by frogwebworks